St Mary's Church

Being double-naved, the church has assumed impressive dimensions since the craftsmen of the early thirteenth century did their share of the work.

Building commenced in 1220, and the church was enlarged in 1290 and again in 1340. The tower itself belongs to that century, but the spire that goes up gracefully to more than 170 feet above the ground was rebuilt in 1631–33 after it collapsed through no known cause.