Market Cross


Market Cross

A fine example of medieval craftsmanship, dating from around 1250, that was erected by the Burgesses and others who used the market. 

A visible reminder of their faith, it was commonly used to bind oaths and contracts made before it. 

 In earlier centuries, the Mayor was given the authority to publish the Banns of Marriage from the cross, and also to conduct the marriage ceremony there.

During the 19th century stocks and a whipping post were also located nearby.


Continue to the Town Hall »»»»